Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Founding Father quotes of the day

I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.
Nathan Hale, before being hanged by the British, September 22, 1776

An honorable Peace is and always was my first wish! I can take no delight in the effusion of human Blood; but, if this War should continue, I wish to have the most active part in it.
John Paul Jones, letter to Gouverneur Morris, Sept 2, 1782

Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
Patrick Henry, speech in the Virginia Convention, March 23, 1775

My hand trembles, but my heart does not.
Stephen Hopkins(attributed), Rhode Island delegate, at the signing of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

No comments: